A taste of fall with a dollop of cream on top! This simple crowd-pleasing pumpkin cake is the perfect dessert for your autumn days!
I love autumn!
I love everything about it from falling leaves in amazing colors to cooler temperatures and the fun clothes they bring to all the delicious treats that signal the approaching holidays!
But, I have a confession to make.
I don’t like pumpkin pie.
Or pumpkin spice lattes. *gasp*
I do LOVE this Pumpkin Crumble Cake! Years ago, I shared this recipe on my blog, but I thought I’d bring it back with some updated photos and a brand new tweak I tried this year and loved!
As soon as Aldi starts selling pumpkin in a can, I start stocking up! But this cake is also fantastic if you use home roasted pumpkin! I always buy a few pie pumpkins for this purpose, roast them, and freeze in 2 cup portions in freezer bags to use later for this cake.
Super simple. Super yummy!
This Pumpkin Crumble Cake is perfect for fall gatherings because it is super easy to make and is a crowd-pleaser! And it’s such a great way to change up the usual pumpkin pies of Thanksgiving.
Get more Large Family Recipes!
To make this cake, I simply beat some eggs and evaporated milk, add some cinnamon, sugar, and salt, and plop in some pumpkin.
For mixing this recipe, I love to use my vintage yellow Pyrex bowl, given to me by Ty’s Granny. It just feels right.
What kind of crumble to put on Pumpkin Cake?
I’m glad you asked!
It’s yellow cake mix!
And here’s the tweak I mentioned earlier…
The other day I started to make this cake, and I didn’t have a boxed yellow cake mix on hand. I usually have one in the pantry for just this purpose (we make most of our cakes from scratch), but I didn’t have one this time.
So, I made my own!
It turned out so tasty!
(Find out what a large family buys in bulk <<< HERE)
I sprinkled the homemade yellow cake mix over the entire pumpkin cake…
added butter and nuts, and…
Popped it in the oven for just under an hour!
It’s such a gorgeous and festive cake!
In fact, I was feeling so festive, I decided to put my piece of pumpkin cake on a serving dish from my collection of October patterned Franciscan Pottery! (purchased at a garage sale, by the way!)
Makes me smile happy autumn smiles!
Now that I have your mouth watering…
Here’s the recipe!
Enjoy, my fall friends!
Pumpkin Crumble Cake
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling!)
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ c. sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 box yellow cake milx (or make your own – https://www.raisingarrows.net/homemade-yellow-cake-mix )
- ½ c. chopped pecans
- 1 c. butter
- whipped topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease bottom of a 9×13" pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour the mixture into your 9×13" pan.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture – it will completely cover the top.
- Top with pecans and drizzle melted butter over the pecans.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until golden and tasty!
- Cool…chill…and serve chilled (if you can, but frankly, we almost always dig in long before it is chilled!).
- Add a dollop of whipped topping as garnish for the fun of it! (totally optional, but super festive!)