After I wrote a post saying I was giving up soda and a friend who reads my blog caught me with a soda in hand, I said I would never write a post like that again! So, this post isn’t quite like that one in that I’m not saying I’m giving it up forever and I’m not without purpose this time, but I am doing without soda for a time and here’s why…
1. I was reading through Large Family Logistics and even though I’ve heard it a hundred times, something about Kim saying how much better she felt after giving up soda made me think perhaps I should work toward that because…
2. I’ve noticed how tired I am and how I use soda to combat that. I also know that the soda is robbing me of the vitamins and minerals that I need in order to stop feeling tired!
3. My husband is an inspiration! He hasn’t had a single drop of soda in 20 years…yes, TWENTY years!
4. I don’t drink enough water. I never have. But, I need to. I always figured since I wasn’t thirsty I didn’t need it. I was wrong.
5. I’ve given myself a goal. No soda until November 1.
6. I’ve given myself an incentive. For every soda I dearly want and I do without, I am putting aside $2 to donate somewhere (I haven’t decided where yet). I’ve already racked up $10! I’m curious to see how much money I was spending on soda…and frankly, a little scared!
So, this is sort of an experiment. I want to see how much I was spending. I want to see how much better I feel. I’m even curious to see if I might happen to drop some of these stubborn pounds simply by giving up my soda habit…
until November 1, that is.
And who knows, perhaps someday I’ll be able to say,
“Kids, your dad hasn’t had a soda in forty years and I haven’t had one in twenty.”